What is OHSAS 18001 standard?
OHSAS 18001 was developed to help organisations meet their health and safety obligations in a competent and successful behaviour through controlling the potential hazards within an organisation. Despite not being an ISO standard, OHSAS 18001 has been developed to be mutually compatible with the ISO 9001 (Quality Management System) and ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System) standards, thus facilitating the achieving of a 3-in-1 integrated management system strategy for organisations.
Principles of OHSAS 18001 standard
The OHSAS 18001 standard is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act methodology, with an emphasis on continual improvement. The following steps form the basic structure of the management system and link into the structure of OHSAS 18001.
- Plan: Identify and establish the objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance with the organization’s OH&S policy.
- Do: Implement the processes for the Health and Safety Management System.
- Check: Monitor and measure processes of the management system against OH&S policy, objectives, legal and other requirements, and report the results or take any necessary corrective action.
- Act: Evaluate and take actions to continually improve the effectiveness and applicability of OH&S performance.
SSIP as part OHSAS 18001 certification
DAS Certification has successfully been assessed and is now able to offer SSIP certification to the SSIP standard within OHSAS 18001 certification. List of Forum Membership
As part of your OHSAS application process you are now able to request SSIP recognition. This ensures that you will be allocated a SSIP trained auditor.
If you have already achieved OHSAS 18001 certification through us and would now like the SSIP recognition please contact us. We will provide you an updated certificate and ensure a SSIP trained auditor is assigned for your organisation going forward.
All OHSAS 18001 and the SSIP Scheme certified clients will automatically have their registration details entered in to the SSIP Portal (www.ssipportal.org.uk).
Benefits of OHSAS 18001 standard
- Gain competitive advantages in the global market
- Enhance health and safety working environment
- Enhance company image and brand reputation
- Continual improvement of organisational performance
- Encourage organisations to improve working environment with ensured health and safety for employees
- Demonstrate your commitment to health and safety towards company’s stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements
- Better management of health and safety risk and potentially reduced public liability